Thursday 13 June 2013

March - May 2013

I wanted to start with this little life’s truth.  I really hold my friends and family dearly in my heart.  Know that you are on my diary list, because I chose you and you accepted to receive it and therefor returned your acceptance of me for whom I am, which I appreciate much.

By the time you receive my March diary, Kokkedoor … roughly translated … means the main cock, the master of the roosters, the best of its kind … (the nostalgic South African reality food program) is canned and broadcasting will start 11 April, on the KykNet channel. I am not supposed to say anything about the program until the last episode was broadcasted, but for those overseas … I lasted for 2 of the 4 weeks of the competition.  It was physical and emotional very demanding, but I shall never forget the food journey and also my personal journal.  I am glad that I did participate, but NEVER again.  Been there, done it and have the APRON to prove it!


You can watch the little introduction inset of me that was broadcasted on tv on: http://kyknet.dstv.com/2013/03/10/ontmoet-die-20-kokkedoor-kokke/ and just click on my name.


The 10 nostalgic home cooks with the black aprons and the 10 chefs with the white aprons.  My partners were:  the guy in the front row in the maroon t-shirt (Rendil, last 2 challenges and the lady next to me (Ida, first two team challenges).

* * *

Sinè and Terri are still working at the Diaz Hotel in Mosselbay and Peter’s practise is still going strong.   There is also a new pharmaceutical study in the pipeline and I shall do the clinical part of it e.g. ECGs, phlebotomy, blood pressures etc. I do not want to do the coordinator part of the study again, as it is too much paper work. My drama classes will only commence in April after the school holidays. 

We are going to Oudtshoorn for the KKNK (Little Karoo National Cultural festival) from 29 March until 6 April. Peter booked for several drama- and musical performances.  It will be a nice recovering time after the stress of partaking in the TV show.

Peter’s mum is in a much better spirit and has less pain after her neck surgery. She has more movement in her arms. The spaces between her neck vertebrae were widened, with the result that the nerves are less pinched.
Lots of love.


APRIL and almost May, are history.  So here is an update:

I "made" 5 of the challenges!  One on my own and two with two different chefs as partners.  The fourth one was a bbq and my chef partner and I won!  The prizes were: Scanpan knives (the same ones used by Masterschef Australia), a Weber bbq, and R5000 worth Walker bay spices.  I will receive it next week.  I was also  chosen to be part of the final challenge to announce the winning couple ... the KOKKEDOOR team (nostalgic cook and professional chef) ... and was part of the winning team.  So I will feature in 7 of the 13 episodes.   Episode 7 was just broadcasted last week.  So it was an emotional en physical experience in the high forties degree Karoo town (Prince Albert), but well worth it and something to tick off the bucket list.  But never again!.  Been there and done that and have the apron, books and prizes to proof it.

Outcome of Kokkedoor: I was on our local radio station on the 24th of May re my Kokkedoor experience, I adjudicated a potjiekos competition in April, (food made in an iron pot on the coals of a fire),  there was two newspaper articles of me and Sinè and I will do an Italian food demonstration in Prince Albert in October. We will be using my Sicilian friend from Perth, Mary’s, recipes. I chose the theme because it was an nostalgic food experience learning different  dishes from her and making tomato sauce to store for the whole year in a copper kettle in the January heat in Perth!  Prince Albert does not have an Italian restaurant, but it has tomatoes and the heat!

To my Afrikaans friends and family:  Here is the article that was published in the Huisgenoot:  http://huisgenoot.com/fokus/trudie-oor-haar-kokkedoor-ervaring/


What an enjoyable afternoon spent at Eden FM. Front (from left to right):Gerald (Mount View Media),
Rejoice Melane (SACA) and me. Back: Braam (Eden FM), Graham Donet (SACA), and Fraincois Ferreira.
We spoke about eating out and Kokkedoor!

And oh yes, I won these books on LitNet on their Mothers day competition!
So now I am a celebrity !!  What a bloody joke, I am still me with all my shortages… what nonsense, I am still the same old me!

Being busy with the South African culinary part of our culture, I had to spark to come up to date to find work for my 43 drama student to enrol for the Eisteddfod.  O my goodness, I worked my fingers to the bone looking through books and Googling, trying to find appropriate work to match each child’s ability and personality.  Most of them are doing 3 or 4 pieces … so do your arithmetic, I had to come up with 4 pieces per child per category; poetry, prose, (first two un-dramatized and dramatized) and monologue) to choose from!  I am glad to say, I could enrol them at the end of May!  I teach on Mo, Tue, Thursdays and Fridays afternoons from 14h00 untill 19h00.
Go well my friends.  May God bless you abundantly.


No comments:

Post a Comment